Monday, March 7, 2011

Being a Nanny in Western Australia


After a crazy night in Sydney for New Year's I was off to fly to Perth to meet the family I was going to live with for the next 2 weeks. When I got there I met the wonderful and very sweet mum, Rebecca, and her adorable crew of 3 boys and 1 girl. I got the full experience quite quickly when we went to McDonalds for lunch. I watched them play on the playground and I saw they were full of energy. Luckily for me I am too!
So let me introduce you to the family. We have Alaya who is 8, David 7, Nicholas 4 and finally Todd at 2 years old. I had so much fun those 2 weeks watching the kids all day long that it actually made me have baby fever. I have always wanted to have 4kids and as I found out I actually think I could handle having that many. The enviroment was perfect. The house was set in a small western Australian town. It was scorching hot and I loved every minute of my time in the sun. Everyday I would watch the kids in the morning. Usually they would play outside, we would do some sort of craft or "school" then it was time to make lunch. After lunch, I would put Todd down for a nap. I would play with the older kids some more. Then when Todd woke up we would go to the pool. I got a great tan those 2 weeks. The kids were all good swimmers for their ages. I mainly stayed in the little pool with the two younger boys or I would go to the big pool and they would jump to me. I would have my daily chat with the pool owner and other locals while soaking up the sun.


The end of the workday for me would end with me making dinner. So it doesn't sound so great to make dinner everynight but for me it was sooo wonderful. The family owned the local IGA store so I was able to go in pick up anything I needed and go back to make whatever meal of my choosing. Since I normally only have one to cook for I don't venture out too much but while staying there I had 6 to cook for! It was great. I made a prawn risotto for the first time ever! I made a sweet curry one night and much more. The kids helped me make banana bread one day and an angel food cake (which they don't have here in Australia) for a ladies birthday at the shop. I felt part of the family and quite enjoyed myself.


Rebecca was great and also loves to travel. She showed me her scrapbooks of her travels around Australia so that I could see where I wanted to go. She was a great source of information for me to learn from. I also got to travel a little with the family. We made two trips to Dongara beach. On the way back on both trips we all tried to spot Kangaroos. Rebecca was the best at it and I was probably the worst. I got to see so many wild Kangaroos and my excitement on seeing them never calmed down. We also went to a national park that was so beautiful. Another day we went to Geralton and then off to a farm to go yabbie hunting! (yabbies are like crawfish). On my way back to Perth with them we stopped and saw the Pinnacles which are these amazing limestone structures that have came out of nowhere. It was really cool.


Once we got to Perth I got to meet the dad of the family. His name is Jamie and he is really nice. I spent the next day with them in Perth. We went to Jamie's mum and dad's house, which is right by a beach. They had a bbq and it was a fun day of chatting with some real American fanatics:) His parents have traveled around America and can't wait to go back. It was a wonderful afternoon walking alongside the beach and meeting some genuinely nice people. That night I had to say my good-byes to the family when they dropped me off at my hostel. They were off to Bali the next day and I was off for a night in Perth before I ventured down the southern coast of Western Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment