Saturday, February 19, 2011

New Year's Eve In Sydney!


After Christmas I had just a few days before I headed out for over a month to travel around Australia. The last few days were busy, busy. I found someone to take over my room in the apartment for when I was gone. That was a huge relief. I had to pack up everything for my trip plus pack up everything I wasn't going to take so it could be stored at Liam's while I am gone. It was a bit of a headache but was a huge weight off my back when it was all done. Who knew I had so much stuff here!

Then it was time to go to Sydney. Laura, Greg and I rented a car to drive up there. Greg and I went to pick it up from the city, while Laura stayed back and got us snacks. It was interesting driving it back to the apartment out of the city. The city is a little crazy with it's no turns, tram lines, bike riders and of left-side of the road driving. Once that part was done it was a breeze. We packed up the car and was on our way. A few hours in we found an awesome submarine statue that had to be 30 feet long. We stopped and had to jump on it to take pictures. We talked and played games on the car and had a blast. We even stopped in the big town of 500 for dinner. We ate at it's only pub and met probably around 1/3 of the towns patrons.
We got into Rosehill a suburb outside Sydney late that night. The next morning we got up and ate lunch at no other than Hooters. It was a massive hooters right beside where we were staying. I hadn't had buffola wings since I had been to Australia, so I was actually quite excited. It was then time to hit the city. We of course headed to the harbor to take picutres at the bridge and opera house. At the harbor there were a few abororginals performing their didrodoos. One of them was so cute.
He was telling everyone to take as many photos as they like, which is unusual because many aborginals believe photos capture their souls. After all that picutre taking time, it was time to go shopping! I found two dresses while shopping in this great shopping area of Sydney. Then we met up with Josh. He lives in Sydney and let all of us stay with him because two of his roomates were out of town. It was great because he lived right in the city.

At his place we all went on his roof and chilled up there because his apartment building had purposefully set up where each apartment has a enclosed rooftop spot. It was really cool. Afterwhile it was time to get all dressed up and go out for a night on the town in Sydney! Laura and I both dressed up in nice dresses and Greg wore his new white shirt he got that day and a lose tie. We first went to this classy looking bar and met all kinds of nice people.
Shayna and one of her friends met up with us as well. Then we were off to the World Bar which was so cool and had good dancing. They also served drinks in tea pots!

The next day was New Year's Eve day and we had to figure out what we were going to do. Our friend Matt had invited us to a house party but we knew our main concern was
to see the fireworks. We got to North Sydney to park the car and then walked across the oh so famous Sydney Harbor Bridge. It had amazing views of all the people getting their spots for the New Year's celebration plus the Opera House.
We got some pictures taken from a very nice Australia man who loved America and Canada which is good since Laura and I are from America and Greg is Canadian. We then made it to the side where the fireworks would be let off. We found a great spot but then realize that it was still 4 hours before they were going to go off. We saw that there was an entry that people kept coming in and out from so we figured that we probably could get back to the spot later if we tried. We were venturing around and stumble across that most amazing thing.....a party in the street!
A bar had a live band playing on the roof and everyone was dancing and drinking in the street. It was something you would think would come from a movie. We joined right in and had the most amazing the night. We sang along, danced like crazy and met a million people.
I even met a girl who was Australian but had lived in Houston for 12 years, crazy huh! I met people from Western Australia and they were giving me advice on were to go when I go there plus they were so excited for me because they said it was the most amazing place. One very unexpected but fun thing that happened was this guy turned around and said hi to me then gave me a yellow rose I LOVE YELLOW ROSES! They truly are my favorite flowers. It was so funny. We hung out with his group for a bit because it was time to go see the 9pm fireworks. We all ran over under the bridge and watch the fireworks go over the Sydney Harbor. They were awesome and they were coming from everywhere. . We had a few more hours to spare and continue the fun in the street. Then it was time for us to find our good spot again to watch the fireworks come off the bridge. We along with a million plus people were all scrunched in to watch the spectular site. The bridge had a lit up bit that counted down and then there they were the most fabulous, dazzling fireworks display ever! They actually came off the bridge and above the bridge. Then they even had a waterfall of fireworks coming down. I know I just can't describe how beautiful they were. I was a dream come true to be there to see them on New Year's Eve. It was even better than I could imagine.

So it was past midnight and time to follow the sea of people to the train station. We went down a few different streets and every single one just as packed with people walking down them then the next. Cars were obviously not allow in the area because there would be no room for them. We finally got to the train station and was on our way to North Sydney. We met some interesting people on the train and wished everyone a Happy New Year. Greg even started the chant Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi. A lot of people joined in. It was really funny! We then took a bus and walked a bit to find Matt's friends apartment. When we finally did, we started the party up again. They were all sitting on the couch winding down because it was almost 3am but then we walked in hype and they all got up.
The view from their balcony was amazing. It showed all of the beautiful city of Sydney. The boys started singing to their video of Live and I quickly found out they were all amazing singers. Then Connor got out his guitar and we all had a sing along on the balcony. I couldn't believe that the night could get any better but these boys really made it that much more memorialable. We stayed up all night and watch the sun rise over the city.


We then did the hike to Matt's house so I could have just enough time to shower and make it to the airport for my flight to Perth. I knew when I booked the ticket it was going to be a hard morning to get to my 10am flight on New Year's Day but it had to be done because I was starting nannying on the 2nd of January so the mum needed to pick me up on the 1st.
Even though I was exhuasted getting there it was all worth it. LUckily I had no problem sleeping the whole entire 5 hour flight, dreaming of nothing but the amazing events of the night before!

No comments:

Post a Comment