Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Aussie Football and Beyond


So we are all just trying to get our butts in the work mentality especially since it is cold outside. It is hard being in a great city and not being able to just tour around all day everyday but I guess you have to make money somehow. I’ve gotten really lucky and most of my placements have been really good classes. It is nice not having any responsibilities past 3:30 and then I can jet and never think about work again until the next morning.


The week was jammed packed with a 5 day work week. I was sick for most of the week with a little cold so most nights I was just trying to get rest to feel better. Finally the weekend rolled around. We had some guests over on Friday night to start the night out. We order some Indian delivery food that was quite delicious. Then we all played a couple of card games before heading out to the Espy. The Espy was once a hotel that is now a pretty famous bar around here.
When we got there, there was a live band that was pretty good. At the end of the night we made a stop at the amazing bakery shop again and I had to get another chocolate croissant.



Saturday was the big day! My roommates, my new friend Tracy (that I had made at a school I worked at), Sam and I went to an Australian Football League game. We decided since we live beside St. Kilda and live on St. Kilda rd that St. Kilda would be the perfect team to cheer for. The game was very fun. The Aussie Rules Footy is so different from American football. We are planning on getting good seats at the playoffs here in a couple weeks. After the game we were starving and wanted to eat in a pub. It just seemed fitting. After what seemed like forever we finally made it back towards our area and ate at the Elephant and Wheelbarrel. It ended up being exactly what we needed. It was a cute pub with a fireplace and amazing food. Then we went home to all take a nap. It was 7pm when we passed out. Everyone started waking up to get ready around 10pm. I however did not. I just couldn’t do it, my body was exhausted. I had been sick plus I had only gotten 3 hours of sleep the night before because my stupidness drove me to Skype to a friend till 3:30am and then I got early Saturday before the game to Skype with my niece before she had to go to her dad’s for the weekend. So my Saturday night was spent catching up on my much needed sleep.


Thank goodness I did that too because the next day I woke up feeling like a million dollars. Caitlin and I had talked to a guy the day before on the tram that had said that if we wanted a good margarita we had to head down to our old stomping grounds (were we stayed in the hostel) and go to Ackland Street. So we did.


We couldn’t believe it but we actually found the most appetizing Mexican food!!! We split these delicious fajitas and of course we had to try one of the margaritas so we got a pink grapefruit one. After filling up our bellies we walked around shopping and then made our way to the beach at sunset. I took some beautiful pictures. Then we got to see the PENGUINS!!! They come out on the rocks on the beach just after sunset when people start to leave. It was a really neat experience. When walking back toward Ackland Street, Caitlin and I stumbled upon another great find….an indoor pool and spa. We walked in and found out that anyone could come in and pay a onetime fee to swim/ chill in the hot tub for the day. This is now our plan for Sunday next week! The rest of Sunday was nice. We went and got groceries and headed home. After watching Beauty and the Beast (Dean excluded himself from this) we crashed out.




So far this week has been once again full with work with a dose of working out and cooking at home! What can I say it is freezing outside at the moment and we need to keep our butts warm indoors. Watch out spring months, once you’re here there is no stopping us!

No comments:

Post a Comment