Sunday, February 6, 2011

Wilsons Promontory Camping Trip


So I guess in hearing it so much I forgot that this beloved camping spot sounds like an actually person's high school dance. After putting it as my status on facebook I quickly remembered what we American's think of when we here prom. Wilsons Promotory is Victoria's only National Park. I went for a weekend camping trip with Liam and his buddies to celebrate Liam's birthday.

We decided to leave Friday night when everyone got off work. It was a slow week so Shayna and I actually didn't get work that day but luckily enough got to go see Oprah instead. It was her day to arrive in Melbourne to do a quick interview. It was held in Federation Square and there was a massive crowd awaiting her arrival. They had famous Australia performers come and entertain us until she got there. It was a great afternoon listening to music and the excitement built to see her live. It's funny I had to come all the way to Australia to see Oprah live. Oprah and the Prime Minister, Julia Gillard finally arrived. It was so cool and Oprah said her recently famous lines.... I LOVE AUSTRALIA. She spoke about how Melbourne was the most welcoming city yet. I bet she says that to all the cities she visits. It was really cool.

After the Oprah apparence I got a phone call from Liam asking if we were ready...opps we were not. So Shayna and I got home as fast as we could to pack up for our camping trip. Luckily for us but not so great for Liam, his friends were running late too. They came picked us up a few hours later and we finally got to Liam's around 8. He wanted to leave at 6. But we finally got on the road.

On the way we ended up seeing this big thing in the road and we thought it was a wombat. It turned out to be a massive male koloa. It was just strolling from one side of the road to the next. This is very rare for koloas because they tend to stay in trees and you hardly catch them awake. I tried to get a picture but Gezzer got out and pet it before I could, so of course it scurried off. The rest of the drive was uneventful other than going through a drinking and driving stopping point. Thankfully Liam had not been drinking so we were all good.


We finally got to Wilsons Prom around midnight and drove around and around to find the perfect camping spot. We were trying to find one with not too many people around so we wouldn't disturb anyone. We finally set on one and got out to set up camp. I felt very helpful in putting up the shelter and the tent. I was surprised at my skills:) Since we got a late start we had a lot to catch up on. Once the shelter was put up we got the chairs out and the drinking began. we all talked and laughed and had a great time. So much that we stayed up all night. At one point Liam was like do you see that and it turned out to be a wombat and I got to see one for the very first time. I started basically following it around our site but it was too dark to get a good pic. That night we also saw a ringtail possium. It was much, much cuter than the possiums in America. Then come 6am in the morning when Liam and I were trying to blow up the air matress but the pump wasn't working so well. I am sure it was quite a commical site to see. It took forever. Finally my air matress was all set. I might even been one of the only ones who ended up sleeping in a tent. When I woke up only a few hours later I saw most had retreated to the truck or car. The boys cooked breakfast and we started the day off right.


After awhile we made our way to Whiskey cove one of the beautiful beaches there at Wilsons Prom. It was a bit chilly but we had a good time. The boys being boys were wrestling around. Funny enough Shayna and I started talking about which one we think could beat the other, of course we both thought that we could beat the other one. This could only lead to one thing; us wrestling it out. I to know surprise took her down but not without a struggle. It was a close one but I won. Feeling a bit proud I did a surprise attack on Liam and pinned him down too. Though the gesture was returned not to long later and I was left completely helpless in a lock. We ran in and out of the water and had a good afternoon. That night we went back to the campsite for dinner and some more social time. When people started falling over I realized it was time to go to sleep. I think we all called it a decently early night since most of us hadn't slept much the night before. The next morning I thought the tent was going to blow in because it kept flapping and then leaning so much that at some point it was touching my head but it never flew away or fell down. We got up to get coffee and clean up the site before going off to bbq. The boys made some great food and then we were off on the road again.


I being of sound and mind was able to drive Liam's truck all the way home. Poor boy slept most of the ride only to wake up to complain about me being too close to the white line. He didn't know what he was talking about. I never once made the side of the road make that noise it makes when you get too close. I enjoyed being behind the wheel on the left side of the road. I had missed driving since I have been using public transport for everything. However we had to make a few stops because the other car that Adian was driving light kept coming on. We tried to figure out what was wrong and were going to haed back to the last town when the light turned off. We then drove the rest of the way home. It was late by time we got back so Liam, chris and I ran to the shop to pick up quick oven ready treats for dinner. It nice and simple. I felt so lucky to find some Aussie that have welcomed me into the group and allowed me to share this experience with them. I hope to go to Wilsons Prom again and this time climb the mountain and caneo a little across the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment