Wednesday, July 14, 2010

First day in Australia


Day 1 in Australia! It was amazing I started the day off by landing in New Zealand at 4:30am their time, who knows what time that would be in American. I had went through so many time zones those first days of traveling that I am pretty certain my body still doesn’t have a clue what time of day it is. Well anyways my first international flight was Awesome!!! Movies, amazing food and wine lots of wine From New Zealand I flew into Melbourne. It was finally there when landing that it hit me that I was indeed moving across the world. The feeling was so overwhelming I seriously teared out with joy.
Getting off the plane all alone in this huge airport was refreshing. It made me feel as if I could do anything in the world. I got my bags (all 4 of them) then went through customs. This took quite a bit of time actually. I then found the information desk to buy my shuttle ticket to the hostel. I was impressed by myself to be able to figure out every step along the way. Finally I was on the shuttle to my hostel. Looking around my neck got stiff by switching directions every which way. Melbourne looks like a city not to different from America, though looking on in the distance you can see beautiful landscaping.
When I got to the hostel it was a bitch to get all of my bags up to my room. It was rather comical for those watching. Once I got in my room I starting meeting those I would be sharing the room with for the next week. There were two Irish mates who were quite nice and one British man. After a few minutes my soon to be roommate walked in. Her name is Caitlin and she is Canadian. She is very sweet and we spent pretty much the rest of the day talking Big surprise huh.
Caitlin and I set out for lunch after I spoke on MSN with my very eager family. It was noon Tuesday here and 9pm Monday there in Texas. The hostel is right beside tons of cute shops and cafes. We found a great little place with outdoor seating. The first day wasn’t cold at all, it was just a nice brisk day. We got to know one another while looking around at the crazy way they drive on the other side of the road.
After a little jetlag nap I was ready to meet more people (I know shocker). So we went downstairs in the hostel bar for drinks and trivia. Not long after ordering a boggers beer we met some very nice people. We ended up having two teams of trivia at our table. I met people from Denmark, England, Australia, and America within the group. During trivia, which Caitlin, the boy from Denmark and I weren’t doing that well , they ask everyone to pick two members of the team to be part of a human wheel barrel race. So there Caitlin was holding my legs while I was walking on my hands in this little pub around a worker at the end. It was a blast and the announcer had everyone cheering for us because we were some of the only girls participating in this part. We did not win but it was still very fun and at least we didn’t bust anything open unlike one of the teams After trivia the group all went onto a club down the road from the hostel. I had a blast dancing and meeting tons of very interesting people from all parts of the world. I even got made fun of by an Australian because he asked me if I knew where Tora was and I thought he asked if I was a tourist. So the rest of the night he made references about me being a tourist and how we had to make sure I didn’t get lost. It was a fabulous night and we didn’t end up leaving the club until almost 3am. We came back and I passed out.
The next morning (today) I was wide eyed and bushytailed at 9:30am and decided to go for a run. Caitlin and I took a beautiful run on the St. Kilda beach not even a quarter mile away from our hostel. It was absolutely breathtaking. The water is so blue and clear. I went down and felt the water which was cold but not terribly so. We then got lunch with one of our current flat mates at a café down the street. I got bold and tried new tapas that was like nothing I had ever had but very yummy. The rest of the day I have been battling with my jetlag and took a long nap. We will see what this night comes up with but I will be keeping you all updated on any great adventures.I will put up my beautiful pictures tomorrow! So off I go…

1 comment:

  1. Ahahahah...I would have done the same thing about the Tora/Tourist part. :)

    ReplyDelete