Saturday, July 24, 2010

Newbie Adventures


21.07.10 (This is how they do the date…..day then month then year!)
Wow the last few days have just flown by. So my first weekend in Melbourne was nothing less than a blast. Saturday we filed suit with the cold weather (it’s winter here) and went ice skating with some new friends and then went to a nice cozy restaurant with a fire place. Sunday was cold and rainy and we enjoyed a nice day in watching TV in the hostel lounge. It was nice to actually slow down for a day. That night we went to our first Authentic Australian bar called the Vineyard. We met a couple of pure Australians and got the low down on what we must do while in this continent and what is a waste of time. We are very excited about planning trips to the beautiful beaches when it gets a little warmer. We enjoyed laughing and listening to the Australian slang all through the night!
Monday was my interview!!! I got up so early so that there would be no way I could be late for my interview. I got all dressed up and then went off and bought my tram ticket for the day. I got a coffee and hopped on the tram. I felt very grown up and professional hee hee. It was fun figuring out where to get off and then wandering the streets a little to find my way. By the time I knew I wasn’t very far from the place, I still had an hour to kill. So I stopped at good ole McD’s because they have free Wifi and I got to wish my beautiful big sister Happy 29th Birthday. I got to say I love you to the rest of the family and then I was off to my interview. It went wonderfully and I start work tomorrow (Thursday). After my interview I made my way back to the hostel to pick up Caitlin so that we could go apartment looking. We were off to St. Kilda Rd to see a beautiful full furnished apartment. We got there an hour early as well and we scoped out the surrounding area so we could see if there were enough cute restaurants, café and bars around….and there are! The apartment is absolutely perfect and even included linens, dishes and all appliances/TV, all the things people coming from a foreign country and not planning on staying permanently needs! Here is a link so everyone can see how great it is:
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-vic-melbourne-404674559
We then had a very “romantic” dinner for two at this awesome Indian restaurant we found not too far from the hostel.

The food was fantastic and the ascetics were interesting.


We then went home to find our Irish mates were packing up to leave in the morning. They convinced us to go and celebrate their last night and so we DID. We started in the hostel lounge with a fun card game and tried the a famous Australian tradition of Goon Wine…it comes from a box lol. The party move to the hostel bar then off to a club down the road. We had a blast and I met quite a few cute blokes that night.


The next day was my first time getting to fully explore downtown Melbourne, which is absolutely astounding. The buildings are beautiful and there are so many unique structures. It is a very busy city with a complete big city feel. The shopping and restaurants are awesome!


The city is so much fun. You go down one street and look down the alley way to expect to see an alley but instead it is full of shops and cafes and then that alley way leads to another one with shops and cafes.


It is truly wonderful and an exceptional experience.


While shopping we got the “call”…it was our realtor telling us that we got the apartment!!!!! As soon as Caitlin got off the phone we scream and jumped up and down. We went back to the hostel and hung out with our new hostel mate who happened to be a Kiwi (from New Zealand). When Irish left it was down to only Caitlin, Jaimie (the Kiwi) and I in the room. It was quite nice to have a little bit more room around. We picked Jaimie’s mind about the culture in New Zealand and how it compares to Australia. Now I’m off to bed to get ready for my first day at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment